Kejriwal wanted To Be Prime Ministe Anna Hazare

Kejriwal wanted To Be Prime Ministe Anna Hazare

Arvind Kejriwal's mentor and former comrade-in-arms Anna Hazare tells Aaj Tak Special Correspondent Pankaj Khelkar in Ralegan Siddhi, 105 km from Pune, why AAP failed and how it can be an effective opposition party.
Q. What do you think was Arvind Kejriwal's biggest mistake: Entering politics, giving up chief ministership or going national in a big way?

A. Kejriwal's biggest mistake was to quit the Delhi CM's post and contest the Lok Sabha elections in a big way. Kejriwal and I have worked together for several years. When he wanted to float a political party, I warned him that we had to follow the path of struggle, but he didn't listen to me. Our history tells us that in our country, real success comes through a struggle but Kejriwal was adamant about launching a party. But when he achieved great success in the first year alone, he thought, 'Now I must become the prime minister of the country'. This was his biggest failing.

Q. Has Kejriwal attempted to reach out to you in the past few months?
A. I met him once when he was the chief minister of Delhi. I told him, "Don't worry about the entire country, focus your attention on Delhi," but he did not listen and fought the Lok Sabha elections. He hasn't met me after the defeat nor has he approached me. He is going as per his wishes. I have no ties with him.

Q. How do you view the present tussle within AAP? Is it a true democratic struggle or a case of a party imploding?
A. If the current voices of one-upmanship within the AAP continue, I can only say that the worst is yet to come. You have to keep the spirit of service in mind to serve the nation. If greed for political power is what is on your mind, then your image will be further tarnished in society.

Q. In February 2014, you called Kejriwal power hungry. Do you still feel the same?
A. Yes. If Kejriwal continues to fight for political power, then the people of this country will also feel he is greedy for power and that he has selfish interest in whatever he is doing.

Q. Can AAP survive as a party?
A. My path was the right one. I still feel Kejriwal should not have launched a political party. However, the good thing is that he still has a clean image. He has worked for society for several years and that is the reason he has achieved so much in such a short span of time. I don't think AAP is finished. Sometimes, ignorance causes mistakes and Kejriwal has admitted to his mistakes.

Q. What would you advise your old disciple now?
A. He won't come to me now because our thoughts are different. But I will welcome him if he does because he thinks about the welfare of society. I would advise all AAP workers to stand united, work for the party and use their party symbol, a broom, to sweep societal evils away.

Q. What is the future for AAP?
A. It can become an excellent Opposition party. If the party in power makes mistakes, it should oppose them vehemently. Only Kejriwal's party has the ability to do so.

Click Here For More Information